Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pumpkin Patch

Sock's preschool went on a field trip to visit a pumpkin patch.
(they have those in the desert? Why yes, they do!)


The pumpkins were all cut and ready to be selected. Socks found his nubbly one right away. Pencil could not pick just one. He loved them all, and hefted, tossed, or otherwise man-handled about a million of them.

I learned so many things.
 Like Hwy 19 to Nogales is measured in Kilometers, not miles.
 Like this pumpkin patch is only 42 km from the Mexico border.
 Like How Very FAR away that feels when you are driving apart from the caravan of mini-vans. (it was about an hour drive in all, but I was getting nervous about having to produce a passport!)

They boys had so much fun. The thing that surprised me was how many of the smells took me straight back to my childhood. Irrigation ditches smell the same in Wyo and Az. Straw bales and horse stalls smell the same too. So does tractor exhaust. Sometimes I forget I am a country girl... until people start asking questions about farm animals and I actually know the answers. (really though, doesn't everyone know how to feed hay to a horse with an open palm? And it's not common knowledge about bull's horns being sometimes removed or weighted?)


Pumpkin transport in our stroller. Sock's is the middle left one. Pencil finally ended up with the top right one.

A hay ride-- very exciting! These are some of the kids and moms (and younger siblings) from our preschool group.
 Just before this picture Socks helped Pencil and Z (the little girl in brown) through the field while I drove the pumpkin stroller. He was SO cute as he walked slowly hand in hand with the littler kids. I wish I could have taken a picture, but the field was NOT stroller friendly and my hands were busy.

Hay ride from our side.

There was also a small hay bale maze. Socks ran in and out of every dead end, and helped us find our way.

Pile of bales. This was the favorite spot (well, maybe next to lunch)
It also reminded me of hours spent with my brothers in the old barn full of old hay in out back yard.
Who needs toys when you have hay?

1 comment:

  1. so fun--I too have farm memories of my childhood and yours--good times! love you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...