Sunday, October 2, 2011

General Conference

This weekend was General Conference. Twice a year, the leaders of our church gather together to spend two days sharing messages of the Gospel. Messages of hope and peace, of encouragement and of gentle reminders to be better. I was prepared with questions, and I truly felt that I received answers. It was a special experience this time. I loved being able to listen and ponder and feel like there is a purpose in the pressing forward.


There is a General Conference Book Club at 'Diapers and Divinity' that posted these questions. Here are my answers.

General Conference Highlights, October 2011

1. Who were your three favorite speakers?
I loved Pres Uchtdorf's talk from the Relief Society Session. I also was moved by Elder Carl B. Cook and Elder Robert D. Hales...and Pres. Monson's Sunday Morning address.

2. Which talk spoke to you the most?
I was really moved when Pres. Monson announced the new temples. Specifically the one in Star Valley Wyoming, because that is where I grew up. It was like electricity down my spine.

3. What was your favorite Hymn and why did it move you?
I loved the Hymn "We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet" because when I was at BYU Pres. Hinckley came for a devotional. As he stood to leave some person spontaneously began to sing that hymn, and the whole Marriott Center joined in. The spirit was so strong that day, confirming that there IS a prophet on the earth and he leads us for the Lord Jesus Christ. Every time I hear that hymn I remember.

4. Which speaker was the best dressed? (Come on, we can have a little fun.)
I like Sister Dalton's purple jacket. (And that's saying something because I don't really like purple!)

5. Were there any topics that you felt like were repeated often? Any conference “themes”?
Read the Scriptures (the Book of Mormon!), Know Christ personally, Make your choices on purpose! (specifically in regards to how we spend our time)

6. Share a few of your favorite quotes from any of the talks (paraphrasing is fine).
Where is your faith? --Elder Anderson
Do not be past feeling. --Elder Packer
I didn't keep my testimony through hard times, my testimony kept me.  --Sister Thompson
Decisions determine destiny... Eternal Destiny is not a result of chance, but of choice! --Elder Randall K. Bennett

7. Name something(s) that made you smile or laugh during conference.
I liked Elder Cook's Elevator story. I also loved the looks that President Monson got on his face. (and how he chuckled about the Star Valley temple)

8. Was there any evidence that your children paid attention?
Grapes was very aware of who was speaking and tried to match them to their pictures in her packet. Socks and Pencil enjoyed the treats and were quiet some of the time. Does that count?

9. What doctrine did you learn as you listened to the choir(s) sing?
I feel like the choir sings the same songs at every conference, so it made me really listen and think about the words. 'Now Let us Rejoice' really struck me this time. It made me feel confident that there is a plan and that the Lord is in charge. 

10. Did the music enhance your General Conference experience? How?
When I was little, my mom told me that her Grandma memorized the hymns just in case she ever went blind. I remember my mom having so many hymns memorized, and since then I've tried to commit those words to my memory. For my the hymns are always little packets of scripture and meaning bundled up in an easier to remember format. I feel the spirit so clearly when I hear and sing them.

11. What are some of your post-conference goals?
I want to read the scriptures with my children consistently.
I want to focus on making prayer more than a routine.
I want to be more conscious of my choices- specifically in regards to how I spend my time.

4 comments:

  1. Great answers. And the quotes you picked out were all fantastic ones. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I loved your post so much I copied you- hope you don't mind. Thanks for sharing, its fun to hear what stuck out for other people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about Pres. Hinckley and your love for the hymn! Also, I can relate to #8!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great thoughts-- I also loved that quote from Sister Thompson, thanks for reminding me of it... it had already slipped my mind. And how wonderful about the temple in Star Valley-- I had a similar reaction to the announcement about the Provo Tabernacle-- electricity and goosebumps! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...