(sorry, when I was little I remember my neighbor saying 'theifed' instead of stolen. It stuck with me.)
and, Yes, somehow, our identity has been stolen.
We got a letter in the mail from our bank saying that there had been some suspicious activity on our bank account. When the Doctor called we found out that someone (apparently some large entity that is unidentifiable) ordered 4 boxes of checks from our account. (ps- we're the barely finish one box after years sort of people)
There is no way to know who ordered them, or where they went....
The bank, bless them, caught things early, and we're in the process of getting things switched to a new account.
Then today I got a random call from a 707 number. (that's Georgia, turns out) It was from a banker who had a check in her hand that was written for $2000 and she wanted to know if I had written it because it was suspicious. (because the number was WAY out of sequence) I said NO WAY! it wasn't me! and please press charges!
They had already contacted the police for us. (go Wells Fargo!)
Sadly- surprisingly- they were unable to arrest the man because the evidence wasn't clear at the time. (they have his info and he's been informed that he may be brought in later)
His story: he did some handy-man work for a mortgage company, and they Fed-Ex-ed him this check. (from us?!?) But He's in Georgia. The package came from Illinois. The company is supposedly in Colorado. The police are looking into it.
Later today another lady called from Georgia. She said that she'd ordered something online and when she opened the Fed-Ex package, there was a $2000 check in there from us. Her bank told her it wasn't suspicious. She decided to call us and ask what was up. (bless her for being honest!) We told her not to cash it, and the police were on it.
Here's the thing: I feel so violated. And confused! How did this happen? But those checks are out there... with our names, and address, and phone numbers on them. FOUR boxes of them! (ps- we don't put our phone numbers on our checks! How did they get our phone numbers?!?!) Wells Fargo knows, and our money isn't in that account any more... but... ARG!!! What if that man was guilty and now he's scott-free?! What if he was innocent and he needed real money instead of a hassle with the police over someone else's *$*#*@ issues. (sorry, not necessarily a swear intended there. Just so many words that I couldn't choose from: Rude, illegal, amoral, condemnable, crappy, baffling, stinky, selfish, underhanded, sneaky, conniving, evil, stupid..... you know....)
What's a kid to do?!
Oh man!!!! What a scary and annoying hassle. I am so sorry you guys. I hope the police are able to sort this out quickly and the person who did it, and I'm so glad your bank was on top of it and checked in with you (what a blessing!). Sorry :(
ReplyDeleteraw raw ree kick em in the knee, raw raw rass, kick em in the other knee! (inappropriate?? :) Sorry....)
ReplyDelete"What the??!" is right! Oh man, I would be so freaked out. Dumb people. So sorry! If I get a $2,000 check from you, I'll be sure to call :)
ReplyDeletethat is so JACKED-UP!!!
ReplyDeleteGOOD LUCK!