Sunday, February 6, 2011

More Frozen Still

I know my last post was about surviving frozen water lines.
This one is about issues with the Natural Gas lines at the same time. Because the weather was so cold, the demand for natural gas in our area exceeded supply to the extent that the pressure all but disappeared. The gas company had to shut everything down and re-start. Efficiently (and conveniently, I might add) the re-start included having to come to each home individually to get gas (and warmth) back.

*Side note here, I feel slightly redeemed in my weakness of the past few days. It was, after all, the second coldest night EVER in Tucson. Also, by way of explanation, I was unaware that the gas was out when I was in the middle of 'frozen pipes situation.' I thought I felt SO cold because I was a wimpy. Then friends from church called. (My visiting teachers and then Home teachers too) They asked if we were OK and if we needed help getting warm until the gas got turned back on. "Hold the phone!" I thought. When I checked my thermostat all the pieces came together and I realized that I was cold because it was COLD. I'm quick like that.

So we had another adventure!

We bundled and bundled, and prayed that the heat would be back soon. (I have never wanted a hot shower more... but our water heater uses GAS. nuts.)

The kids wore two pairs of PJ's each.





They also spent a lot of time in their sleeping bags.





We all slept in the boy's bedroom so that we could utilize body heat to our advantage. The air mattress is in the foreground, and Grapes slept on the floor in front of the dresser. Sock and Pencil were in their own beds.






This was what my thermostat said when we woke up.



Grapes' school got cancelled. The Doctor didn't have to go in to the clinic (YAY for the clinic month.... sadly, Friday would have been his last day there anyway) So we snuggled and watched Hook and then around 7:00pm the Gas man came.

Hooray!! (PS. Bless the Gas man. Poor people were working 24/7 to get things back on track. He looked a fright, but still took care of us with a smile. AND in like 2 minutes!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you finally have heat back! As inconvenient as it was, it is definitely one of those fun stories that will always get retold :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...