Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Christmas trip

We had the privilege to travel to Utah and visit lots of family over the Christmas break.
In all honesty- the more times we do this, the more I struggle with the visiting. We only get to see these awesome people a few times each year, so when we get together we try to cram as much as possible in, logically. I love seeing them and spending time together.
Sadly, with children, trying to spend long hours in cars for days on end, and spending time with people doing lots of crazy fun things quickly turns into a nightmare of grumpy kids, little to no sleep (thus resulting in a grumpy mom) horrible eating habits (that mom gets to take care of/clean up after) and ridiculous expectations for when we get home again.  (ie: "Why can't I eat more chocolate orange for breakfast? I don't want to to CHORES! I'm not getting up for school." to name a few direct quotes from the last few days)

I'm very glad we went. Don't get me wrong. We made some brilliant memories and loved on some dear, dear people. I just need a vacation to recover from my vacation.
(My work trip, lets be real. I was working on this trip)


Things we want to remember:

Before this trip our darling aunt Amanda came to AZ to visit us. We loved every minute of it- we just didn't take any photos. Boo. It was a delight to have her here, and we'll hopefully take better pictures next time! While she was here there was some crazy weather and my kids ended up having some school cancelled for snow days. We also had church cancelled- so there was lots of hanging out in Jams and being together.

Amanda flew from Phoenix to Utah with us- and our adventure began!

We got together with the Doctor's father's extended family for a Christmas dinner- I didn't take great photos there either. BUT-- I caught Feta hamming it up with our sweet Cousie E and Aunt Amanda and Grandma Jen.


 Utah got a giant ton of snow- and my kids ate it up (literally, I'm sad to say. Eww, right?)


We built gingerbread houses.


 Then my boys ate them to death. There was nothing left. Oh- the sugar addicts in my house...



On Christmas Eve we kept my family tradition alive and met up to eat pizza and go to see a movie. 
(PS. It was a delight to be with my siblings and mom. What a fun gang- really though)

And the movie-- I mean THE MOVIE.
I think my kids died and went to heaven.
  (and do you love Pencil's hair? Oh dear)

  Look at this crew of favorites! Uncle Lon and his sweetheart L, Aunt Kelsey, My monkeys, The Doctor, Uncle Shane and Adela our new Aunt! (where was Grammy?? Did she go get treats or visit the potty? I'm not sure how we missed her in this photo!)

 Never fear, Feta and I were there too. HEY! I'm getting good at these selfies!
(and this gem of a monkey slept through 85% of the movie. Good job baby!)




Christmas morning!!
Five more minutes, FIVE five more minutes!

That Grandma's house. Talk about Christmas beauty!





We were able to have Christmas dinner with the other side of the family too. Again with the lack of pictures. Sheesh!



Then on Monday after Christmas, we visited a cool museum. 
We saw creepy mummies (real ones, a bit graphic for my children... oops?)
We also played with all the sweet stuff in the learning areas.
Like a green screen!



A Rube Goldberg wall!!


And a build your own bridge that Uncle Lon dominated!


Then that night we took in a Hockey game 
with Aunts Amanda and Natalie, as well as our great Grandpa.
(not our Great-Grandpa, please note the difference. 
We went and saw the great-grandparents, Papa and Nanny,  a different night)



My boys liked the game much better after they got some treats (huge ice cream cones!) 
Too bad we made them wait until after the second period (there are only 3 periods in hockey) 
To get them to perk up, I even tried to get them to dance with me. 
They were both humiliated with my antics.


It was a trip full of good things and good times.

There are no photos of our visits to Grammy's new apartment
(or the time we convinced all three big kids that they DO in fact like chick-fil-A)

Or our fun dinner at Nan and Papa's with lots of extended family

I also have no pictures of the snow playing (or Aunt Amanda's sculpture!!)
or the plane ride there or back. 

But we will remember! (Said with my arm in the air, as with an oath of solidarity)

Hope your Christmas was a success!

1 comment:

  1. So... For Christmas we went to Florida instead of to Idaho to visit family. I'm super ashamed to say this, but it was so relaxing and what a vacation should be. I come home to wicked tired and sometimes grumpy from visits to family because we are so busy squeezing in every last thing possible that sometimes we forget to have fun and enjoy the moment. I could totally relate to your opening remarks!! Glad you had good times and made good memories. Just needed you to know that I get you!!! Miss your beautiful face.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...