It was my first venture back to that crazy state since my family moved away in 2001. It was such a good experience- I think I'll have to go back there again (soon?)
We drove to San Diego and stayed at a B&B from the 1930's for the first two nights.
We spent all day Tuesday at Balboa Park. I think we could have spent a week there, enjoying the museums and the wonderful outdoors-ness. I liked just being with my cute husby (and no rowdy monkies) too.
It was actually cooler there that it has been in Arizona, but it was so green and beautiful.
At the Art museum we saw a picture that was profound and life altering. It was a man, in a toga (as appears from the shoulders up) making this move:
We also wandered through an awesome botany building. It was a luscious jungle of flowers and plants. It made me wish I could grow a garden. (Not that I couldn't.... I just have a black thumb and I'm sadly inept at keeping green things alive. How my children have survived, I'll never know)
We visited the Science Center and had a blast playing and learning like kids. (we really were like kids there. We tried every experiment, and then made up a few 'alterations' to further our own understanding/entertainment. (because we're good learners like that) We made and ruined tornadoes and geysers/mud pots. We laughed through some awesome optical illusions (including one that blended my face with my bearded husband's! Too bad I couldn't figure out how to get a picture of that one) We also whispered sweet nothings across a room. (sweet like, "I can hear you breathing.") We unabashedly played in the children's section with a giant Rube Goldberg made with plastic balls. It reminded me of Plinko...... It might have been embarrassing if I had run into someone I know. BUT, I didn't. So there)
We watched a 3D movie about T-Rex at the Natural History Museum. (a first for both of us) It made me dizzy. Good thing we looked cute.
On Wednesday we went to the waterfront and visited the Maritime Museum. We were on the actual ship where 'Master and Commander' was filmed. Great movie- Cool Ship.
We learned about Horatio Nelson, a famous commander in the English Navy. At the beginning of his last battle against the French AND Spanish, he sent one message to all ships, and it was enough to see them through the whole battle and to success. I loved this quote: England expects that each man will do His DUTY.
It made me think about how God expects each person to do their duty. If we each did our duty, and did it the right way, I believe it would truly and clearly see us through to a good end. Quality!
The Maritime Museum had six different ships to see up close. We toured a Russian Submarine and an American research submarine. (talk about claustrophobic!) I was stunned at the torpedo room, and entertained by climbing through small doors. The periscopes really worked, too, so we checked out the harbor.
Near the Maritime Museum was the ORIGINAL seafood restaurant of San Diego. (San Diego has existed since at least the early 1800's.) We were impressed that an establishment like that could last SO long. I will sat this though: the view of the harbor was delightful and the fish sandwich was even better!
That afternoon we drove out to Coronado. WHAT A DREAM! That island was beautiful, and peaceful, and I wanted to move right in. We spent some time in the freezing ocean water, and the wind got us really sandy. Worth it!
We got stuck in Sea World/rush hour traffic. I was in love with the wild flowers outside my window. The cars were bumper-to-bumper and moving SO slowly, that I decided to jump out and grab a flower as a souvenir. (is that stealing? am I a clepto? It seems that I 'steal' more things than one might hope....)
It was so pretty though... I'm glad I did it.
We were on the road because we moved to a different hotel for our last night. It was nearer to the ocean, and had a marina view. It was a nicer (read 'more expensive') hotel that offered robes. We thought that was cool. Maybe we should buy robes for ourselves so we can be on vacation at home.
It may be evidence of our lameness, but that night we were very excited to relax in the hotel bed, nestled in a zillion pillows, and watch Harry Potter #7, Part 1 on the pay-per-view TV. We are big HP fans, so the opportunity to finally see it was more than I could have hoped.
The next morning we visited the Mormon Battalion visitor's center before heading home. I was pleasantly surprised by the experience. It has been recently remodeled, and it was interactive and entertaining. I highly recommend it.
What a fun trip!! I'm so glad you guys were able to get away and enjoy each other!! I love you both!!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you had a great time! You guys definitely deserved it. Man, I love that state. Also, I would be very interested to see the picture of the man in the toga :)
ReplyDeleteYou shoulda let me know you were headin' to San Diego...I coulda hooked you up with some free tickets to the world of the sea!
ReplyDelete